Building a clean, resilient, and affordable energy system for all New Yorkers.
The State Energy Plan is a comprehensive roadmap to build a clean, resilient, and affordable energy system for all New Yorkers. The Plan coordinates every State agency and authority that touches energy to advance the REV agenda, unleashing groundbreaking regulatory reform to integrate clean energy into the core of our power grid, redesigning programs to unlock private capital, and actively deploying innovative energy solutions across the State’s own public facilities and operations.
In 2014, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo launched New York’s signature energy policy, Reforming the Energy Vision (REV). REV will build an integrated energy network able to harness the combined benefits of the central grid with clean, locally generated power.
The Plan, as a roadmap for REV, fosters economic prosperity and environmental stewardship—government and industry working together through public-private partnerships to achieve our shared goal of a healthier and stronger New York economy.
The initiatives outlined in the State Energy Plan, along with private sector innovation and investment fueled by REV, will put New York State on a path to achieving the following clean energy goals:
- 40% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels
- 50% of energy generation from renewable energy sources
- 600 trillion Btu increase in statewide energy efficiency
Read the 2015 Plan State Energy Plan Overview Frequently Asked Questions
The Biennial Report to the 2015 State Energy Plan is now available. This update highlights progress the State of New York has made in advancement of the goals outlined in the 2015 Plan.
On December 18, 2019, the New York State Energy Planning Board approved issuing a Draft Amendment to the 2015 State Energy Plan, and it was published in the State Register on January 8, 2020. Comments on the Draft Amendment were accepted for up to 60 days from the publication date. The New York State Energy Planning Board adopted an Amendment to the 2015 State Energy Plan at the April 8, 2020 Board Meeting.
- April 8, 2020 — The New York State Energy Planning Board adopts Amendment to the 2015 State Energy Plan
- April 1, 2020 — The New York State Energy Planning Board gives notice that a meeting of the New York State Energy Planning Board will be held on Wednesday, April 8, 2020, at 1:00 p.m.
- January 29, 2020 — The New York State Energy Planning Board gives notice of public hearings to receive comments on the Draft Amendment